Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ty-Bug's baptism



I am so happy for my little Ty-bug, he was baptized at the beginning of January and although this is a big step in his life, I feel like a lot of things are big things in his life!

Tyler was not your run of the mill, easy child to bring into this world, in fact, his whole existence is pretty cool! There is a reason we call him Ty-BUG!!!
I had lots of problems (to say the least) when I was pregnant with him. Long story short, I had an abruption (when the placenta breaks away from the uterine wall) at 12 weeks, and was on bed-rest for 6 weeks at home. Then at 23 weeks, my water broke and I got to spend the next 71/2 weeks in a luxurious hotel called, the HOSPITAL!!!! in the pre-natal unit. And I'll tell you what, I HATE hospital food!!!!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!!!!! I also learned to HATE the nursing schedule! However, I learned more in those 2 months about love, faith, compassion, sacrifice, service, patience, humility and unselfishness, than I have or probably ever will learn again. I LOVED that! Also, sponge baths are not all they're cracked up to be, let me tell ya!!!
Anyway, Ty was born at 30 weeks, when he was a minute old, I got to touch his little teeeny blue foot before they whisked him away to the NICU to bag, intubate and try to keep him alive. He was the size of a big m&m bag and when I mean he was blue, I mean BLUE. Absoloutely the scariest moment of our lives. 
I got to go see him about 2 hours after he was born and even though I had toured the NICU and read and talked to so many Dr's a lot about what to expect nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. There were about 20 chords coming in and out of his tiny little body, there were monitors everywhere, little tiny glasses to cover his little eyes, an oscillating respirator to breathe for him and he was shaking violently from the ventilator that was helping his lungs. It was extremely overwhelming and I couldn't even hold him!!!! I will never forget the Dr's giving the grim, but hopeful prognosis and my dad and Jon giving him a name and a blessing right there, because there was a very, very good chance he wouldn't make it. I am literally shaking thinking about it now!!! He is our little miracle.
However, in the days and weeks that followed, Tyler was amazing! He was and always has been quite  a little fighter!! He was only in the NICU for a month and came home at 4 lbs on oxygen and a heart monitor. He was on those for 2 months and I remember the day we got to take off his oxygen mask, it was a party!!!! Since then, we have had numerous tests and "preemie" Dr appointments. Lots of kids that were that early and had "intra-uterine" challenges, have major handicaps. Many have cerebral palsy, deafness, autism, allergies blindness, ADD, and reading dis-orders. Miraculously, Tyler has none of those. He has struggled a little with some learning things, but this year especially, he has really done so well!
I tell you all this not because I want your sympathy. I tell you because I firmly believe we are given challenges for a reason. We learn from our trials and we learn from our kids!!!
Tyler is a fighter, he is a happy, strong, go getter kid! He works hard, is feisty and always, always thinks of his mom-we're pretty tight!!!! (I guess that's to be expected!)

I am so proud of my Ty-Bug. I'm proud of his decision to be baptized, I'm proud of his life and I'm proud and so very thankful to be his mom and the lessons he has taught me. They are the best lessons I have ever learned!!!
Love you Bug!


9 comments:

Jasperson Family said...

Your story is so much better than the one on MY blog. Sorry that I made a few errors...it's not like it so fresh in MY mind! :D

Beautiful post. Ty sure is an amazing kid!

Denice said...

It was NOT eight years ago when you were lying in that hospital bed, doing everything you could to just keep Tyler inside for one more day!! I can't believe how big he is, and especially how much of a miracle boy he is. It is truly amazing sometimes what life throws at us, and you are right, it is also amazing how much we can learn from our kids!! Tell him congratulations from us!! (and congrats to you too -- we didn't even know if he'd see eight days, and here he is EIGHT YEARS OLD!!)

The Jacklins said...

Congratulations to all of you! What a blessing to have a miracle living in your lives!!

DeHart Family said...

Love the pics that is great...... Hey can we inv my sister in law to lunch bunch she needs some friends she is in our ward now her name is monica what do you think...

Becky said...

Great post Cath. I would like to say they are great memories, but wow.... they just make my stomach churn remembering it all. I am sure grateful for the Lord's tender mercies with that sweet kid - and all His kids. You are a great mom. I am glad you wrote all this down... for all of us to remember the Lords kind blessings.

Heather said...

That is quite a story. I knew the basics, but hearing all of it is quite something. It reminds me of "our miracle" baby....Jack. He went through NOTHING quite like Tyler, but he scared us plenty when he stopped breathing and forced the emergency c-section. We are so blessed with modern medicine and great little "buddies" who will grow and live their lives and shape many others by their examples. We love little Tyler. He's so handsome too. Congratulations to him on his Baptism!!!

Becky said...

Hey Cathi, I only knew part of what went on with Ty...what a sweet story with such a happy "ending".

Bennett family said...

He is such a great kid! We love him! I have memories of that time...you were going to pull your hair out! You were amazing too!

Tara said...

My gosh girl your a rock! Cool and miraculous story. I love Ty too!!