Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Great Wall!!!


Today we got to see the Great Wall of China. It was one of, if not the most, amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It is a massively, huge wall, spanning over 5000 miles. It was built in 220 BC and took over 200 years to build. Over one third of the population of Beijing at the time died in the process of building it. Hundreds of soldiers died there as well. It really is a huge cemetary. These are just facts, but the reality is, there are no words to describe this amazing structure. I can't even comprehend the history and feeling that surrounds and really enshrouds this magnificent thing. It is absolutely incredible. I can't believe we actually stood on it, felt the mountain air, felt the steps that are literally eroded away into little scoops where thousands upon thousands of people have stepped, and mingled with hundreds of other people from all different nations and backgrounds. I just loved every single second of being there, even though it was misty and cloudy and hard to see, it kind of made it mysterious and even added to the history of it. I'm so happy that we got to go in the fall because the leaves and the mountainside surrounding the wall are all on fire with reds, oranges, yellows and greens. It was truly awe inspiring. At the end of our hike up (which lasted close to 2 hours) we went to a little outdoor shop where this cute little man was painting scrolls on rice paper and silk. He painted the great wall in different seasons and then wrote our name at the top. He loved Canada and had little Canadian flags around his little work station, when I pointed to the flag he said in very very broken English "C-A-N-A-D-A!!!!!!" and then started shaking my hand and bowing and smiling. I LOVED him!!!!!!! And I love the beautiful scroll that I will hang up in our house that will always remind me of this almost holy place!!!!
We also toured a jade factory and ate another traditional lunch, Honestly, the only way to describe the food is maybe a step lower than your average take out Chinese food. It's not as good as Panda Express, and absolutely NOTHING like PF Changs. It's ok, but I sure wouldn't want it on a regular basis!!!! I'm super glad we have some peanut M&M's because they are coming in very very handy!!
We tried to go see the Olympic Bird's nest and Water Cube from the 2008 Olympics, but really truly, the air quality is so incredibly bad here, we couldn't see it at all. The whole city is absolutely, completely saturated with polluted air. Nothing is clear, nothing is bright, everything is just grey. One of the men in our group summed it up really well, he said , " If I lived here, I think I'd just go ahead and smoke, the pollution is so bad" and it's really true. Everyone smokes, there's tones of cars and it's hard to get a deep breath.
The other interesting thing we experienced today was the infamous squatty potty. OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the things that go along with that are…..lovely puddles on the floor, no toilet paper, no soap and sometimes no warm water. Also. long lines of little women who care nothing about the order of the line and when they see a stall open up, they just go ahead and bolt for the door, not caring if you were in front of them. We got a little tired of that and finally kind of said "no,no,no, we were here first!" who knew Chinese women who have to pee could be so pushy!!! WOW!!!!!!
We got to see a Chinese acrobatic show tonight, which was amazing. Anyone who has seen Chinese acrobats knows what I'm talking about, it was really incredible the strength and agility of them.
China is a mysterious place to me. I feel like I've learned so much about it from all my preparations, and yet, I don't understand and can't fathom the history and customs that still are practiced today. There is a distinct smell, a lot of sounds that are so foreign and so difficult to listen to, different tastes, very different sights and incredibly different feelings here. I miss my family and wish they were here, I would love them to see all of this with me, but I'm so glad my sweet sister in laws are here, they are a lot of fun, good to travel with and very very supportive!!!!! I am loving the group we are with. They are all amazing people and I'm honored to meet them and get to know them and the stories of their new Chinese children. I can't believe the amazing gift this country is about to give me. I am humbled by it, I am awed by it. I hope I can give Eisely a very small taste of her culture and heritage and yet raise her to be a proud, happy, American girl. I feel like this could be a very daunting task because she is coming from somewhere so foreign to me, and yet, already very dear to my heart!


2 comments:

Gwen said...

The Great Wall is amazing! So glad you got to see it in the fall!
I only used ONE squatty potty the entire time we were in China (don't know how I lucked out on that one!) I'm glad you're enjoying your travel group-- we had the best time with ours, too.
It's true-- there are smells unique to different places. I know exactly what you mean.
Can't wait for your next update! Looks like blogger is working great for you! :)

Becky said...

WOW! What an adventure you are having--and of course the best is yet to come! Love your updates! Becky